Translate

Tuesday, August 06, 2013

HOW TO WORK WITH AND SAVE IMAGES IN DIFFERENT FORMATS

 WORKING  WITH  AND SAVING IMAGES IN THE DIFFERENT FORMAT


August 6, 2013
[MY COMPUTER TUTORIALS]

Someone just asked me what's a PNG?  and how to save a file in the  .png  format so it won't be that blurry to use  it as a  desktop bg. and so on... so here it is. 

[P.S. I used my books from Academy Of Learning, for file formats and it's meanings].

Graphics Interchange Format (GIF) files, Every time, I  plan to  upload an image for my blog, I always  save  them  either in the .jpeg or .gif formats,  The program I use (Adobe Photoshop),   to edit my graphics, like collaging  always asks me  to save them -For The Web  option, and they are automatically converted in the gif files

  •  I  always save images (for my website),  in the  .gif formats, also I could put  a text on  them such as my name, also  for my black and white graphics. 
Joint Photographic Experts Group (JPEG) files, About  jpeg,   I  tend to save my photos in the .jpeg  files  when I do want to attach them  on email, because they tend to compress efficiently, but  editing then saving them  again,  their image quality decreases,  it's like you are copying from a copy,   This format does  not support animation and transparency either.

Picture File Types (Format)
File Name  Extensions
JPEG FILES
.jpg & jpeg
JPEG XR FILES
.hdp & .wdp
TIFF FILES
.tif  & .tiff
RAW FILES
.raw
GIF
.gif
BITMAP FILES
.bmp
PNG FILES
.png












Portable Network Graphics (PNG)
These   images has millions of colours, also  images of this format retains it  image quality, when you  save them over and over,  It supports transparency, but not animation because , this file type can't  contain multiple images.  I have lots of photographs that I saved in this format for  future editing later  on. 
  • Anyways,  to capture an image from a web page and save it as a PNG, for you to use  for your computer's Home Screen wallpaper or Desktop Background for example,   open up Internet Explorer,  go to that website of your choice; right-click on the image you wanted and copy that image then open up the windows paint, then paste into it and then save the image, click save as in  -PNG. The image won't be blurry, compared to a .gif file.
Details:

1. Search the web, for an image of your choice, then right-click on it, (a pop-up dialogue box will appear and will give you options;click on copy); and then open the paint program/application, paste the image then click on save icon. Your graphic is automatically saved in your Pictures Folder. 

  • Example below is the Calgary Tower from Calgary Herald Photo I found on the web. 


Search for an image you prefer then right-click to copy it

2. Now open windows explorer, and select your Pictures Folder. Double click on the photograph you saved, while it is currently open, right-click on it and choose open with Paint. 


Opening the image with Paint application


3. The Paint application opens with your selected Photo/Image


Paint application is open

4.) On the Menu tab, click on File, select Save As, option, then choose PNG format.


Saving the image in PNG format

Graphic file types:    


BITMAP- Windows Bitmap files, this  is  windows own file extension, so when you created something for example,  a graphic  from a Photoshop,  save it in this kind of format , and then  you can share it and send it easily to  a friend who does not have that  program like yours. (from which you created such an  image).

TIFF, Tagged Image File Format files,  this file type, produces high quality images so most of the time,   publishing use this file type.  I do  save my images to TIFF  format for printing. Lots of programs support this file type  though.

 RAW files are like digital negative files, I have  these  images  that are so called .raw files ,  so  then I needed to download these codec from Microsoft to view it though.

Here is the link: Microsoft Camera Codec pack Enables Windows Photo Gallery to view a wide variety of device-specific formats, including RAW files. Get 32-bit | Get 64-bit



   Graphics Format             


No comments: